What Moeen Ali can teach the mining industry about diversity
There's lessons to be learnt from cricket's attitude towards embracing diversity.
Mooen Ali’s wrote an excellent article on England’s Cricket World Cup triumph last week:
As Moeen Ali highlights, the diversity of England’s cricket team was one of its’ strengths. The differences in culture and background of the players helped unite them, not divide them.
At Beacon Events, we are committed to diversity - we have 41 employees from 10 countries, of which 27 are female. We are also committed to promoting diversity at our events and ran a webinar on this last month.
We are proud that Young Mining Professionals, Women in Mining, International Women in Mining are partners for this year’s Mines and Money event, excellent organisations that do a brilliant job at promoting diversity.
A few years ago, when I joined Mines and Money, only 5% of our speaker faculty was female. I’m delighted to say that this has changed.
At our Mines and Money London in November we already have a number of excellent female speakers confirmed, including to name just a few:
- Elaine Dorward-King, Executive Vice President, Sustainability and External Relations, Newmont
- Deshnee Naidoo, CEO, Vedanta Zinc International
- Catherine Girard, Expert Leader – Energy and Raw Minerals, Strategic Environmental Planning, Renault Nissan Mitsubishi
- Jacqui Murray, Deputy Director, Faraday Battery Challenge
- Natalia Lacorzana, Associate Director Natural Resources, Central Asia, EBRD
- Aline Carnizelo, Portfolio Manager, Pala Investments
- Miranda Werstiuk, VP, Corporate Advisory Services, Optimize Group
- Cat Beadel, Mining Executive to CEO E&M, Rio Tinto,
- Michelle Manook, Chief Executive, World Coal Association
- Olebogeng Sentsho, CEO, Simba Mgodi Fund
- Jennifer Maxwell, Partner, Blake, Cassels & Graydon LLP
- Eva Trenker, Vice President, Financial Advisory, Auramet Trading
- Sarah Gordon, Managing Director, Satarla
- Sharon Flynn, Executive Vice President of External Affairs & Social Performance, Oceana Gold
I am delighted that they are speaking at this year’s show.
Diversity makes us stronger not weaker.