Is Innovation a Behavioural Problem?
We chat to Michelle Ash, Chief Innovation Office at Barrick and the current chair of the Global Mining Guidelines (GMG) Group, about the lessons she learned while implementing various innovation projects within the industry.
We think about innovation as being a technology problem. The adage seems to be that if we get the technology part right, it is bound to succeed. This philosophy seems to forget an important thing: innovation is ultimately about improving people’s lives or way of working. So unless that technology can enable the right behaviours in people, it is unlikely that it will get the desired results.
All innovation programs have a 70/30 rule associated with them. Only 30% of the problem is related to the technology. The other 70% is all about people's behaviours. Does this make innovation more of a behavioural problem? Maybe it is not about the technology but more about having the right humanistic design along with your technological solution.
Our guest this week is Michelle Ash, who was previously the Chief Innovation Officer at Barrick and the current chair of the Global Mining Guidelines (GMG) Group. She discusses the lessons she learned while implementing various innovation projects within the industry.
Exploration Radio are the official podcast partner of the International Mining and Resources Conference + EXPO (IMARC).
Michelle Ash will be chairing a panel discussion at IMARC 2019 under the Technology - Mine Optimisation session on what solution, project or process excites us the most and will likely have the greatest impact on the future of mining. Michelle and the panellists (Ashley Bosworth, Andree Roettig, Rob Daw and Martin Knabenhans) will discuss the lessons learned from implementing cutting-edge technologies and processes on mine sites, and what results these programs ultimately achieved. Download the programme now.