Safety Wins: Datacloud's MinePortal adds auto void detection
Mining through old underground workings is dangerous when voids in the subsurface go undetected. Relying on manual logging from a drill operator to mark one of these holes is a time-consuming process and too often leads to inconsistent and slow reporting. Mine sites significantly improve safety if teams are immediately alerted to the presence and properties of voids and are able to alter their plans accordingly.
Leveraging MinePortal's ability to rapidly process drilling data and automate detections of geological features, DataCloud is increasing safety at the mine. This is a step-change improvement for operations that have added precautionary measures to their open pit operations where old underground workings are present. These mine sites reduce the risks and costs associated with manual inconsistencies thanks to real-time alerts by MinePortal when it detects a void during drilling.
Further adding confidence to clients’ orebody knowledge, DataCloud sends a daily report that maps the presence and properties of these voids. The information is shared across all teams, from supervisors to engineers, and can be visualized by everyone in 3D. Mine site operators now have the tools necessary to improve safety and productivity from planning to blasting.
Value of Void Detection
1. SAFETY: unknowingly driving over an undetected void rather than solid ground is a huge risk
2. BLASTING: D&B teams adapt plans to use the proper amount of explosives for safety concerns, cost savings, and to improve fragmentation
3. GRADE: you can expect high grade near the void as this is where older generations of miners would have been following profitable ore
Manually processing your blast hole drill’s rate of penetration (ROP) is not easy nor consistent enough to increase assurance and safety. Using software to reconcile data from your drilling system and manual logs leads to highly accurate and timely detections. Cross analyzing insights to other data points eliminates noise from anomalies.
MinePortal filters outliers, like preconditioning, and matches the drill's response to a legitimate void versus the drill's response to simply a high ROP. Furthering confidence, we apply machine learning to the data to continually improve identification of voids, tunnels, stopes, and veins.
Benefits of Automating Void Detection
1. INCREASE SAFETY: alerts and daily reports of void detection helps teams decide how to adapt
2. SAVE TIME: takes away the responsibility of manually entering comments into the drill system by how the blast hole drill is behaving and processes data faster
3. SAVE COST: reduces time on the job and costs of efforts to avoid safety risks
OPTIMIZE: creates a foundation for data-driven decision making and shared rock knowledge across teams
Easily Use This in Your Workflow
MinePortal gives everyone seamless access to all location-based information related to the mine to mill process. This single source of truth for your geology is available fast and securely with a simple browser login backed by Microsoft Azure. This improves collaboration by allowing each operation to work with others towards a common goal and to track progress as a team. Engineering time that is currently spent on data manipulation can now be focused on analysis and optimization.